In her more than 35 years of experience, Ms. Skinner has developed significant expertise in the financial services industry, ranging from her early experience as an independent auditor and internal auditor, to positions as director in various capacities at Fannie Mae for 21 years, and more recently as a management consultant with Watkins Consulting, Inc. (“WCI”).
Ms. Skinner’s experience at Fannie Mae focused on optimizing operational and risk functions in securities operations and accounting. She also had significant involvement in software implementation and deployment and in workflow design and documentation. Currently, as a Project Manager in WCI’s Shared Loss Compliance Monitoring contract with the FDIC, she has a unique and high-level view of credit, compliance and operational controls at major U.S. banks, as well as smaller community banks.
Ms. Skinner has a proven ability to assume new roles, quickly assess issues and accomplish measurable results. She is an accomplished analytical and insightful thinker with the proven ability to manage consulting engagements and back office mortgage operations. She achieves goals using excellent communication, interpersonal, team development and project management skills. She is an energetic leader who generates a high level of loyalty and respect.
Watkins Consulting, Inc., Senior Managing Director
Michelle has spent the last two years as an integral member of the WCI CMC team assigned to the Shared Loss program for the FDIC. She provides audit and compliance services under the entire spectrum of CMC services to the FDIC, including designing procedures to test compliance with LS Agreements, testing compliance at AI locations, reviewing Certificates, writing reports and coordinating with FDIC personnel. She audits loan and accounting records, reviews AI policies, procedures, and internal controls, performs due diligence reviews of single and commercial real estate loans, determines compliance with loss-share agreements, and analyzes issues and the impact of possible non-compliance.
During her tenure at Fannie Mae, Ms. Skinner was a director in accounting, operations, information systems, securities accounting and the data warehousing areas. While at Fannie Mae, she gained a broad understanding of the mortgage industry and obtained valuable knowledge, skills and abilities in specific areas of accounting, including securities accounting, operations management and data management.
- Directed the team that defines critical data and business rules, drives the consolidation and simplification of the data landscape, and strives for a culture of data awareness in the Housing and Communit Development division.
- Focused priorities to achieve specific, measurable goals for defining data attributes, completing data lineage mapping and designing new data model for improved infrastructure.
- Launched new data warehouse for e-business division.
- Directed teams responsible for Operational Data Stores and Historical Data Warehouses, defined the future state business architecture, and obtained senior management support and funding.
- Defined process flows and controls to support Sarbanes Oxley compliance.
- Supported restatement work for Securities Accounting while continuing to manage on-going work of the Data Warehousing teams.
- Revitalized the operational accounting team, application and processes used to record activity for mortgage-backed securities.
- Instituted analyses and process changes to address long-standing reconciliation issues.
- Mediated between businesses, accounting and application development teams to achieve improved functionality and business process.
Chief of Staff/Director
Facilitated staff support for two senior executives:
- the Senior Vice President of Operations, coordinated and influenced the management of a division of 400+ people, and
- the Executive Vice President of Information Systems, advised leadership team for a division of 1000+ people.
- Restructured 25-person team responsible for reporting monthly mortgage servicing activity.
- Built operational accounting team responsible for recording acquisitions of mortgages.
- Interpreted accounting policy for new financial instruments and new products.
- Provided accounting expertise to mortgage-backed securities and REMIC business leads.